Thursday, April 17, 2014

Recipe: Homemade Applesauce


When I go home, a favorite of mine is my mom's homemade applesauce. She makes it in big mason jars and always lets me take a few, which I inevitably practically inhale. The other day I had a few apples sitting around that I knew I wouldn't be able to eat before they went bad, so I asked her for the recipe. It is so simple! Try it out and love it!

4 apples (I would suggest granny smith apples but you can use whatever you like)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar (brown or white, can add more to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Slice apples into chunks, any size you would like. Put the water in the pan and add apple chunks. Cover and leave for about 10 minutes. Mix the apples so they don't burn. Continue with this process until the chunks are a size that you like. (I like my applesauce pretty chunky.) Add sugar and cinnamon. (My favorite is brown sugar with cinnamon, but you can experiment!)

A note about apples: Like I said above, the granny smith apples are the ones that I would suggest because they are not very sweet. The red varieties of apples are all fairly sweet in applesauce, which I don't love.

A few more notes: I never measure any of this and it has turned out great each time I make it. A pinch of this and a pinch of that and it voila! Lastly, applesauce will boil down and make about half of whatever you put into the pan. Don't worry if the apples are overflowing in the pan when you begin, they WILL boil down!

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment