Whether it’s used for organizational reasons, pictures, or just notes, a memo board is a handy thing to have around. However, some look kind of tacky (my attempt at a pun on thumb tacks). If you have an old bulletin board sitting around that you’d like to use, or if you decided to go out and buy one, we have the perfect guide for painting yours! My awesome coworker Hanna made an amazing board for our new office in Cedar Rapids. So you can check out our process pictures along the way!
So first thing you’ll need is the memo board. You can go out and buy one or reuse an old one if still functional. Next up you’ll want to grab some white primer (optional) and different colors of acrylic paint. We used 3 colors on ours, but the colors and amount used is completely up to you. The primer is optional, it just depends on whether or not you’d like the cork to show through. Lastly you’ll want to grab some sponge paintbrushes and tape. Painter’s tape can provide better lines, but any type of easily removable tape should do.
Ok, so now that we have our materials you’ll want a nice open space to paint. Be sure to have towels present just in case things get messy. We were able to do things with out a mess, but it’s always good to be careful!
1) If you decided to use primer, you’ll want to apply that now
- Wait for this to dry before proceeding!
2) Place your painter’s tape where you’d like for your first area.
- We liked the angular look, but this is up to you!
3) Apply your first coat of color to the board
- We went all the way to the edge, it is easier than avoiding the boarder
5) After your first section is dry, remove the tape and proceed to the next area
6) Now that the paint is dry, lay down the tape for your second section where you’d like.
- Place the tape on the edge of the painted part. You will be applying the tape on the paint here to avoid gaps
- You don’t have to paint the whole board; leaving some cork exposed can look interesting!
You now own a beautiful hand painted bulletin board! Now that large corkboard actually goes with your room! You can now post your notes, pictures, and whatever else you’d like on there.
For more inspiration check out buddyandbean.com