Friday, July 25, 2014

Tiny Workspace DIY


Minimalism and living small are huge right now (see what I did there?). After reading this post, I have been hunting down ideas for how to make better use of the space that I have. Here are a few tips that I have figured out from my own research.

Weed Out: When you're trying to fit your stuff into a small space, it's important to realize that you can't fit in a gazillion things. Before you try to cram everything into your small space, go through and get rid of anything that's not essential. After that, go back and do it again! 

Organization: Keeping everything organized is an important part of fitting into a small space. It's easy to just keep everything out on your desk, but not having any space to work really ruins a workspace. This is a great way to get creative. Make the things you use the most the easiest things to get to, and tuck the less important things away. One of my favorite ideas for creative organization is to make use of vertical space. It might seem easier to just put everything in drawers, but shelves about your workspace can really make things look interesting, while allowing you to see what you have (because if you're anything like me, you are constantly forgetting about the random miscellaneous things that are tucked into the backs of your drawers). My other favorite idea is this DIY project on Remodelista, which was originally intended for a knife rack, but could be used to store rulers, scissors, and other office tools.

Be Bold: Finally, the best thing about creating your own workspace is to add your personality to it. Put up some pictures that inspire you, use a chair that looks awesome, or make the wall into a bulletin board. The important this is to make it into a space that you enjoy going to get work done, whether that means making it bright and colorful or darker and calming. 

I don't know about you guys, but now I feel bad about all the junk I have laying around in my workspace. Time for a little summer cleaning!


No comments:

Post a Comment