Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Holiday Recipe: Cinnamon Rolls
I don't think I've met a single person that doesn't like cinnamon rolls. For many, it's an essential Christmas Morning treat! We found a very simple recipe from minamalistbaker so you can make some of these bad boys on your own! They're even vegan if that's how you roll!
1 packet instant yeast
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup Earth balance (vegan butter), divided
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
Dairy Free Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 Tbsp non-dairy butter (such as Earth Balance), softened
2- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (1/2 lb.)
4 ounces softened "Tofutti" dairy-free cream cheese, softened
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
from minimalistbaker.com You need to get going on these, they look too good to pass up!
1. In large saucepan, heat the almond milk and 3 Tbsp Earth Balance until warm and melted.
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar, then salt and stir.
3. Add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about one minute until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with canola or grapeseed oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 Tbsp melted Earth Balance and top with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 - 1Tbsp cinnamon.
5. Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 - 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8x8 square or comparable sized round pan (should have about 10 rolls). Brush with remaining 2 Tbsp Earth Balance (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set to let rise again while preheating oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
These instructions can also be found at minimalistbaker.com, which is a great blog for "delicious recipes that require 10 ingredients or less, one bowl, or 30 minutes or less to prepare"!
You can also find the cream cheese frosting instructions here. Thank you to Dana for a wonderful recipe!