Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Here's a deliciously simple recipe from Spoon University. Only takes about 20 minutes or so to make. It's tomato, onion, and basil one-pan pasta, and it looks mighty tasty. https://pitt.spoonuniversity.com/recipe/tomato-onion-basil-one-pan-pasta
Servings: about 4
12-oz cherry tomatoes
1 yellow onion, (about 2 cups sliced)
5 cloves garlic
¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 sprigs basil, + torn leaves for garnish
2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, + more for serving
4 ½ cups water
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper for serving
1. Thinly slice onion and garlic cloves. Cut tomatoes in half or in quarters if large and set aside.
2. Measure pasta, About 12-oz (¾ box).
3. In a large skillet or pot, combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and 4 ½ cups water.
4. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Stir frequently once the pasta softens.
5. Cook until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated (~9 minutes).
6. Then you can choose to drizzle with olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and/or garnish with some fresh basil!
Monday, February 15, 2016
It's Presidents' Day today! It's a day when we celebrate all US presidents, past and present. Originally meant to honor George Washington's birthday, it became a federal holiday in the 1870s, and now serves as a reminder of the virtuous leadership that our great nation has held!
Friday, February 5, 2016
Fun Money Spotlight: Brick City Grill
Brick City Grill is an upscale sports bar and restaurant located in North Ames and also happens to be one of our Fun Money vendors! Today we wanted to spotlight all that the Grill has to offer, so we took it upon ourselves to stop in for a bite to eat.
Located on Stange Rd, Brick City Grill has an atmosphere perfect for watching the game or visiting for family dining. The bar offers a selection of beers on tap and top shelf mixed drinks, and those going just to eat can find a menu full of burgers, wings, sandwiches and more.
Brick City offers specials every day of the week for drinks and appetizers, but they also heavily advertise their Triple Double Food Challenge. The challenge, you ask? It’s finishing six beef patties, twelve pieces of cheese, twelve pieces of bacon, a toasted brioche bun, and a double order of fries in 30 minutes or less by yourself.
The Grill has lots of other perks (in case you don’t feel like stuffing yourself on hamburger patties and fries) like their gluten free menu and a loyalty membership program that offers a free birthday meal and other yearly offers. So if you’re looking for a casual, welcoming atmosphere for lunch or just a place to grab a beer and catch the game, we recommend Brick City Grill. You can find a full list of all of the Ames (and other) locations’ Fun Money vendors at www.usefunmoney.com!